Monday, August 16, 2010

Reflections for 8/16/10

"We all are deeply hurt people, and we've all been infected. People are not whole and yet they constantly long for holiness, for wholeness. That's why Jesus' call to holiness is paralleled by the healing ministry. In fact, you could say that's almost all Jesus does: preach and heal, preach and heal, preach and heal. For the mature ones, the preaching is already healing and the healing is its own sermon."(R. Rohr "Radical Grace" p. 280)

It is certainly true for me that at various times in my life I have been hurt. I don't know that I have any deep wounds that are holding me back. I have some major dings for sure.

What I also know is that I am certainly not perfect. Every aspect of my life is not as I would like it to be. It is also true that there is nothing that I've thrown in the towel on and given up any hope.

Do I long to have everything feel right. Absolutely. Am I trying as hard as I can to adjust to different circumstances in my life and learning how to not get bogged down in my past problems. I hope so.

I do find that my relationship with God is a significant part of that. I love making the connections between scripture and my own life. And of course it is also true, that most of us preachers need to take our own sermons to heart. Sometimes we do this intentionally, sometimes we're not even aware.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment