Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reflections for 1/3/12

Today is the Iowa Caucus.  The first round of attempting to figure out who a political party's presidential candidate will be.  This year happens to be only about Republicans as the Democrats have a seated president.

You may wonder why a Democrat from New Jersey is reflecting on Iowa Caucuses?  It isn't so much that I care about the results, frankly I don't.  What it did was take me back 25 years to when I actually did participate in the Caucus.  As a "resident" in Iowa, I was going to college there, I went to the Caucus to see what it was all about. I don't know if my presence made a difference.  If I recall the person who invited me was supporting Bruce Babbitt.

It was interesting however to see how this very different way of choosing worked.  I don't know if it would work in a densely populated state such as New Jersey, but the concept of neighbors talking with each other about why they liked a particular candidate is intriguing.  I don't recall too much name calling in the caucus sight.  You might actually have had to come with some supporting reason for your choice without engaging in character assassination.

And maybe that's why I found it interesting.  It revealed that it can be possible for people with different opinions to be in the same room and still remain cordial.  A good model not only for politics but for life in general.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment