Saturday, March 10, 2012

Reflections for 3/10/12

So where have I been, what have been up to?  Have I had nothing to reflect on?  Hardly.  I think like many things in life we sometimes need to put things down for a little while and come back to them.

I will say that I was in California earlier in the week.  I went to a conference called Gathering of Leaders.  It is a collegial group with other Episcopal clergy.  This is the third "Gathering" that I've been to.  I will admit that each time I go, I'm impressed by the creativity and energy that I witness in my peers.  It gives me hope for the church and for the world.  I also will admit that I come away sometimes scared. Scared that I don't measure up to these folks, or even worse that I could.

I think one of the things I realized about myself at this conference was that the thing I fear the most is myself.  I don't know why I scare me.  I'm not violent, I'm not crazy.  But something keeps me from really, as the Army puts it, "being all I can be."  Perhaps I fear success. I know I fear rejection.  There are times when I can be a big brave dog, and other times I need to be reminded of Christopher Robinson's advice to Pooh Bear "you are braver than you believe, and smarter than you think."

I don't know why I can't get out of my own way, but I know that if I could see myself as others apparently do, to quote Dr. Seuss, "oh the place I could go."

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment