Monday, December 9, 2013

Reflections for December 9, 2013

"I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask that you protect them from the evil one."(John 17:15)

Have you ever just wanted to escape?  Leave the world behind, make a run for it.  Not have to deal with all the world's problems in addition to the one's you actually have some responsibility for. Perhaps some people would call that "going off the grid."

I know of people who seasonally or for a time will fast from electronics. No TV, no computer, no cell phone, no radio.  I'm impressed by that, but I doubt I could pull it off.  I won't deny that there are times that it is very tempting to do so.  No information overload and no one can find me.

The reality for me is that I really can't and probably wouldn't even if I could.  The above prayer makes sense to me.  I don't want to be taken out of the world, with all its trouble, but would like to be protected from harm, both literal and metaphorical.  How do I avoid the poisoning of my soul, when I'm bombarded with so much bad news and negativity?  Yes God, please protect me from the evil one.

I don't hear the prayer asking me to ignore evil, to not speak out against it, but instead to not let it overwhelm or defeat me totally.

That unity with God through Christ, is what makes this possible for me. It is in knowing that Christ has already prayed for me and that others hopefully hold me in prayer too that makes being in this world worth it.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment