Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Reflection for 1/29/13

"Deliver me O Lord from lying lips, from a deceitful tongue." (Psalm 120:2)

There are many things in our life that can hurt us, and one of them for sure are lies.  When someone you trust misleads you or just flat out lies it strains and often breaks the relationship.  How do you ever trust that person again?  Maybe you forgive the first time, but how many times if they seem to have a chronic problem with it?  Do you seek to find out what is going on that leads them to believe this is the best way to deal with you?  Or does there just come a point where you need to be delivered from them, as hard and painful as that might be?

As I read this Psalm today, I wondered if the psalmist was referring to others or to themselves?  Because it also true that in everyone is just as capable of lying as they are in being lied to.  Does there come a point when we can feel  a lie coming out of ourselves as we try to cover our rear ends for something we did that we know was wrong and hurtful?  What do we do?  Is crying out for deliverance from this plan something to consider?  Is it possible to ask for the courage to be honest?

It would be impossible to get away with a lie to God, that omniscience is a problem.  Certainly lying to neighbor, family or friend, will ultimately lead to much bigger problems.  Finally lying to ourselves will also become a problem.  When I can't let myself know the truth about me, when I can't or won't face the facts, I can not make the changes necessary.  I'd much rather learn to deal with the real me, than continue to pretend to be something I'm not, wishing that it might come true.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment