Thursday, October 16, 2014

Reflection for October 16, 2014

"Jesus said to them, 'Is not this the reason you are wrong, that you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God."(Mark 12:24)

Sometimes we get things wrong.  Perhaps we misunderstood something, whether it be something we read or perhaps heard.  It is also true that we can read in an interpretation that we like better.  We can also be wrong when we choose to doubt something or underestimate the possibility.

It is of course a double whammy when you not only misunderstood but then undersestimated on top of it.

Jesus gets into it with the Sadducees, this time.  They deny the resurrection, (that is why they are sad you see.)  So they throw out the most over the top theoretical question.  They sort of knew the law about making sure that heirs are provided to keep the family name alive.  We don't practice this anymore.  But the Bible never takes it beyond that.  So they do as most people who don't really want an answer will do and conjure up some extreme possibility.  He also accuses them of no understanding the power of God.  To deny the resurrection is to pretty much say that God can't do something. 

I try to know the scripture as well as I can, that's why I read it constantly.  I do know what it says, though I'm sure there are people who may disagree with how I interpret and apply it.  I know the power of God well enough to avoid saying what God will or won't, can or can't do.  I find it better to watch and see.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment