Thursday, October 9, 2014

Reflections for 10/9/14

"When he heard him, he was greatly perplexed, and yet he liked to listen to him."(Mark 6:20)

At some point or another you have probably encountered a speaker who you like to listen to.  Perhaps it is their tone of voice.  Maybe you find what they have to say insightful.  Or it could be that they challenge your thinking.  Maybe you just like to get angry.

When I hear things that perplex me, I try to listen harder, to ask questions, to see if I can gain some understanding.  Is there a different way of looking at something that a speaker is offering?  I don't know that there is anyone I listen to constantly.  I do like Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert, but I don't hang on their every word.

I try to not just listen to people who will tell me what I already know or believe.  But who offer me a challenge to think harder, to decide what it is I really believe, and who might actually be willing to engage in a conversation with me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment