Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Reflection for January 5, 2016

"All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."(Matthew 5:37)

Has anyone ever said to you, "it's just a simple yes or no answer?". Perhaps your own thinking is it isn't that simple.  You'd like some time to think about it.  Perhaps you believe there are factors that could alter the answer. 

I will readily admit that I tend to be a "yes" person.  I'm often persuaded more by a desire to please than an actual desire to do.  This is probably why I need to take this passage more to heart.  The "yes" that is followed by a not doing or a doing so grudgingly does come from the evil one.  A "no" just to avoid doing something or out of spite also comes from the evil one.

I'd like to spend more time saying yes, with no strings attach and be able to say no because I really can't.  My sense is that Jesus is more interested in an honest commitment than one that was meant to avoid or to get people off my back.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment