Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Reflections for 11/16/10

"And a woman-at least a woman who has had a child-understands something I will never understand: the connection between pain and life."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.370)

I, like Fr. Rohr, do not have a clue about the pain of child birth. I may have been a little closer to the pain, because unlike Fr. Rohr I'm a daddy. I was at the birth of both of my sons, a truly awe inspiring moment.

My eldest took forever to arrive, eventually coming via C-Section, but for 18 hours I did sit with my beloved as she tried to give birth. Holding her hand, getting her water, being as present as I could for this part of bringing life into the world, as I was when it was created.

Bringing life into the world is hard. Hard physically for the woman, hard emotionally for both male and female. So much uncertainty while it is all happening. So much feeling of powerlessness. And yet when it was over, that little creature, was actually there. A child hoped for and soon to be loved.

And of course neither his mother nor I knew what was to happen for the next 16 years. I assure you there were painful moments that are just a part of life as a parent. Probably be more before I die.

I wonder if there truly can be a life fully lived that is pain free. Somehow I sincerely doubt it.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment