Thursday, November 25, 2010

Reflections for 11/25/10

"If I would have to choose between judging myself and being judged by God, I'll take God. Give me God, who sees the whole picture and who is my father and mother. God's going to say what parents say: 'Don't bother me with the facts,this is my child!' We condemn ourselves with facts, but the facts don't mean very much in terms of relationships."(R.Rohr "Radical Grace" p.390)

I wonder if I would make that same choice? I think I would because of what I believe about God being merciful. I fairly certain that I am a horrible judge of self. I don't know that I would give me a break. I see all to clearly my imperfections. I know all too well the facts of my life. I'm still overweight. I'm not as financially sound as I would like to be. I still wait for things to happen, rather than create my own opportunities. I still have a hard time saying "no" to requests. I'm nowhere near perfect.

What I also have experienced is that all those facts are apparently irrelevant to God and to my friends and family. Those who choose to be in relationship with me. Clearly they see something that is not as obvious to me, and for that I'm eternally thankful.

At our Ecumenical Thanksgiving Service there was an opportunity given for everyone to say what they were thankful for. And I find that I'm most thankful for the relationships I have of family, friends and God. The one's that know me better than I sometimes know myself.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment