Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Reflection for August 14, 2013

"But they did not understand what he was saying and were afraid to ask him."(Mark 9:32)

Have you ever had someone say to you "this may be a dumb question."  Every time I hear that I want to say the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.  I know what often stops me from asking a question, the fear of looking stupid, especially if it is something I think I should know.

Of course we also may not ask a question because we actually don't want to know.  The minute we choose to get information we are then faced with a choice of what are we going to do with that information.

I find that as I've gotten older and a little more assured that I still have things to learn, asking questions has become easier for me.  It probably helps that there are no longer grades attached.  I also know that I don't fear questions being asked of me.  If I know the answer I give it.  If I don't know the answer, I promise to try and find out.

There are subjects that I may never fully understand, but I cannot allow being afraid to squelch my curiosity.  I need the wisdom to know who to ask.  I know it is also helpful to find someone who not only knows, but who has the patience to answer the question without making others feel like idiots.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment