Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Reflections for 8/21/2013

"And the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in its streets."(Zech 8:5) As the last couple of weeks of summer time wind down, I start to think about summer times past of playing outside with my friends. I grew up before there was cable tv and video games and computers. I didn't have air conditioning so there was no reason to stay in side. The town where I grew up was reasonably safe, had playgrounds and even had a woods behind my house where great games could be played. I'm not going to claim that those times were better than now, just different. I don't see kids out on the streets playing anymore. Part of it is the entertainment that everybody has. Part of it is a fear of something awful happening that todays parents have to deal with more than my parents did. I do think there's a lot less imagination today then there used to be. I don't know if life is fun for kids anymore. Perhaps it is again just in a different sort of way. I miss playing outside. Heck I miss period. But that promise of God that children would play in the streets again, perhaps might return. When we feel safer, when our minds and hearts yearn for fresh air and the use of our imagination. Blessings, Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment