Saturday, August 24, 2013

Reflections for August 24, 2013

"And Mary pondered these things in her heart." (A couple of times in Chapter 2 of Luke.)

 I know Christmas is 4 months away, but this was the chapter in the Bible Challenge today. Chapter 2 of Luke gives a quick snapshot of the first 8 years of Jesus lives. All of the events framed with Mary pondering the reactions of others to Jesus' birth in her heart.

 I thought about that idea as a parent. What are the parts of my son's lives that I ponder in my heart. What memories of them growing up will I hold onto well after they've left home. I certainly remember both of their births, being present in the delivery room watching them come through the surgical cut as both were cesarean section babies. I remember their baptisms. I remember their first days of school. I remember their time in cub scouts, their Little League games, wrestling matches and youth soccer games. I remember musical concerts and plays. I remember family vacations. I remember their friends, both male and female. I am sure that there will be more moments to treasure and ponder in my heart.

 I wonder if Jesus pondered things in his heart about his mother? The Bible doesn't show much interaction between the two. I wonder what my sons will remember about me? What do they ponder and cherish in their hearts? As you recall important people in your lives related or not, what do you still treasure, what do you still ponder?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment