Saturday, April 12, 2014

Reflection for April 12, 2014

"First of all, then, I urge that supplication, prayers, intercession, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life. In all godliness and dignity."(1 Timothy 2:1-2)

I'm a firm believer in the separation of church and state.  I'm also a firm believer in prayer.  I've been asked on more than one occasion  to pray at the annual reorganization meeting here in my town.  I'm careful about what I say.  I usually ask that God would open the ears, minds and hearts of our elected officials. To hear each other and their constituents, and to make decisions that will benefit all the residents of the town.

I don't pray for specific election results, nor for specific policy decisions, but I will always pray for the President, the Governor and any elected official no matter what their party affiliation.

I don't believe it is the mission of the church to influence elections. I believe people of faith can see secular decisions through the lenses of their faith, and not always come to the same conclusion.  Someone disagreeing with me on policy does not make them less of a Christian. 

I've always liked the way the Prayer Book prays for elected officials.  'That they may be led to wise decisions and right actions for the welfare and peace of the world.". "That they may serve justice, and promote the dignity and freedom of every person."

And so let us pray:
O Lord our Governor, whose glory is in all the world: We  commend this nation to thy merciful care, that, being guided  by thy Providence, we may dwell secure in thy peace. Grant  to the President of the United States, the Governor of this  State and to all in authority, wisdom and strength to know and to do thy will. Fill them with the  love of truth and righteousness, and make them ever mindful
of their calling to serve this people in thy fear; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the  Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment