Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Reflections for April 16, 2014

"And whoever does not provide for relatives and especially for family members, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."(1 Timothy 5:8)

As a parent I always told my sons there were three things I felt responsible for providing, food, clothing and shelter.  There may be other material things that I gave because I could, but not because I had to out of parental obligation. 

One thing I did provide for them was an ethic of work to get what you want that goes beyond the basic necessities of life.  I've also been blessed with parents who have been there to help me and provide for me, so I was taught well.

I hope that when the time comes and should they need me I can be there for my parents and even for my adult sons and their families.

I do know that I do this out of love for them, a love that is revealed in my faith.  I also know that if I saw that my providing was in fact becoming enabling, out of the same love, I would have to stop.  I would them hope to help them get the help they need.

To completely cut myself off from my immediate and extended family makes no sense to me.  I will also so that if I believe that I am part of a greater family called the "whole human family,"  the challenge is still there.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment