Friday, April 18, 2014

Reflections for April 18, 2014

"I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure lives in you."(2 Timothy 1:5)

I am a life long Christian.  I don't have a "born again" experience, but I know that I am in fact born again.  My faith has always been deep, sincere, but also quiet.  I like to show my faith in actions towards others not in words at others.

I feel blessed to have been brought up in a household where faith was important.  And also where I was allowed to ask questions and to work out for myself how I would live it out.  Many of you know that I am "the son of a preacher man,"  well a priest actually, and I won't deny that his faith and his priesthood influenced me greatly.  But you may not know that I have an incredibly devout mother and it is actually her faith and the way she lived it that has had an even more significant effect on me.  She like me is a life long Christian and Episcopalian.  If she were writing this blog she would probably tell you that it was her mother that instilled that faith.  Both of my grandmothers were devout Christians, and my mother's mother lived her faith in the Episcopal Church as well.

I did not know my grandmother, though I did meet her she died when I was very young.  As a matter of fact she actually died on Good Friday in 1968.  The date is not the same, but the liturgical day is.
So tonight as I led Good Friday services and preached about God's presence in good times and bad, I give thanks for the example of faith that was evident in my grandmother Lou and Ruth, and in my mom.  A faith I hope that I have modeled well for my children.

Who are your faith role models?  Can you give thanks for them as we head towards Easter.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment