Saturday, June 11, 2011

Reflections for 6/11/11

"What I means is that if we come to a church right, we come to it more fully and nakedly ourselves, come with mere of our humanness showing, then we are apt to come to most places." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p.154-155)

I've never really considered what would be a wrong way to come to church.  I'm sure drunk or high would probably qualify.  Coming with no clothes on, probably not a good idea either. 

I do think that some of the reasons people stay away are the very reasons to come.  I have doubts. Doesn't everybody?  I'm not comfortable dressing up.  Good thing God doesn't care about what you're wearing as long as you've got clothes on.  My life is a wreck.  What a great place to heal.

I'm glad to be part of a church that can let people be who they are.  I wish more people would understand that such places exist. 

I've been blessed to be a part of faith communities where I didn't have to pretend to be something I'm not.  Where I was allowed to discover fully who I am without having to hide.

Not every faith community will do that. The ones that do in my opinion have it right.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment