Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reflections for 6/9/11

"Speak what we feel not what ought to say." (F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 153)

Yesterday I ran across a quote from Joan Rivers, "My success has been in saying what everyone else is thinking."  I believe that I have been told that about myself.  Of course it is usually followed up by but we're not dumb enough to say it.

Sometimes I can be very vocal about what I feel. That honesty can be refreshing at times. It can also come across as tactless and can often get me in trouble. 

I definitely do better when I've taken the time to think out my responses.  Yes sometimes my "quick whit" is quite timely.  Then again it may also be tiresome to those who have to hear it.

What I feel and what I ought to say, sometimes are right in sync. That's usually when my best advice comes out.  When what I ought to say is said, but does not really reflect how I feel, I"m lying.  And when I'm feeling something but refrain from articulating it because I ought not to say it because it really won't help, I'm probably being very wise.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment