Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reflections for 6/12/11

"Finally this. If you look at a window you see fly specks, dust, the crack where Junior's Frisbee hit it. I f you look through a window you see the world beyond. Something like this is the difference between those who see the Bible as a Holy bore and those who see it as the Word of God which speaks out of the depths of an almost unimaginable past into the depths of ourselves."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p.159)

I read the Bible on a daily basis. Granted it is because I'm saying Morning Prayer and there are always two readings and a psalm.  Also someone else chose what I'd read.  There were at least two years where I read all of the Bible. Didn't skip a chapter or a verse. I also didn't begin at Genesis 1 and try to get to the end of Revelation either.  I had a guide that broke readings down into manageable chunks and gave variety.

When I read the Bible I usually am attentive to four things.  First is there something that confirms what I believe.  Second is there something that challenges what I believe. Third is there something that just makes me laugh.  And finally are there verses to memorize because they'll be helpful when debating a fellow believer who doesn't agree with me.

Sometimes when we focus on something so intently we will see only the defects and imperfections, that "looking at" that Buechner writes about.  When I see through I'm more attentive to the much deeper and more subtle messages of life.  I often do get the subtext of what's actually going on.

I do think it is important for those of us who profess faith in the Judeo-Christian God to be reasonably familiar with the Bible.  As a reminder though, we worship the God of whom it speaks, not the book itself.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment