Monday, June 20, 2011

Reflections for 6/20/11

"The Bible is usually very universal and makes you want to see something-some image to imagine it by."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.163)

Whenever I read a book for pleasure, I often can create a mental image of what the setting looks like, what the characters look like etc.  Especially if the author is good.  I usually like to read a book before seeing a movie adaptation of it, so as not to spoil the mental picture.

I think the creators of the Harry Potter movies really did a great job of creating images. As did the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Chronicles of Narnia.  I'm sure there are others as well.

The Bible is a different beast of course, because it is not seen as fiction.  It is also true that our 21st century imaging has been tainted by Children's Bibles and Renaissance Art.

But I do still like to attempt to picture the biblical scenes. Put myself in the crowd if you will.  It makes the words on the page come to life for me as I attempt to incorporate them into my life.

While I don't see God as an old white man with a long beard, nor do I see an Anglo-Saxon Jesus, I have had some wonderful images of the biblical characters and can picture some of the great events, and even some that aren't as well known.

It works for me because faith needs all the senses working together to create that deeper relationship.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment