Monday, September 9, 2013

Reflections for September 7, 2013

"In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you, for this is the law and the prophets."(Matthew 7:12)

Ah the so called Golden Rule.  Most of us know it or some variation there of.  I like when framed in the positive, do this.  I realize that to not do something can also be a positive, but it assumes I was heading that direction before stopping and turning around.

I try very hard to treat others in any given situation the way I would hope to be treated.  I try not to treat others the same way I've been treated.  There is for me a huge difference between that and the quote above.

I know that if I make a mistake I'd rather be pulled aside and shown what was wrong and be offered the chance to correct it.  I try to say thank you because I too would like to be thanked.

I wonder though why we call it the "Golden Rule?"  Perhaps it is because gold is prized and very rare and often quite valuable.  Same could be said that behaving in a positive way towards others should be highly prized, can be regrettably rare and is incredibly valuable in maintaining and developing our relationship with others and the world around us.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment