Saturday, July 18, 2015

Reflection for July 18, 2015

" He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?'”  (Matthew 16:15)

I am a member of the Committee on the Priesthood here in the Diocese of New Jersey.  The purpose of this group is to help people who feel called to the priesthood, to discern whether there is a call or not.  One of my favorite questions to asks these folks is "who do you say Jesus is?"  I ask it so much that it has become known as the Zelley question.

I don't think it is an unfair question, though I will say that it often takes people by surprise.  The fear of course is that I have an answer and if I don't like your answer or if it isn't my answer I might vote no.  The reality is that I just want an answer.  I'd prefer one that avoids pious platitudes and other jargon.  I'd like to hear how that answer has been experienced or lived out.

I suppose it would be only fair for me to give my answer.  So here we go.  Jesus for me has been a constant companion on my journey through life.  Sometimes he's in front of me saying follow me.  Sometimes he's behind me pushing me along.  But most often he's walking side by side with me, talking with me, listening to me whine, and I'm sure wondering if I'm listening to him.

I'm glad for this relationship it has sustained me since I was born.  And it has ebbed and flowed but never ceased.  So who do you say he is?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment