Thursday, May 12, 2011

Reflections for 5/11/11

"The almighty and merciful God pardon and deliver you, forgive you every face you cannot look upon with joy."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 119)

I feel fortunate that there are very few faces that I cannot look upon with joy.  Or at least faces of people who are or were important to me.  I'm sure there are some politicians whose face doesn't bring me joy. 

I do wonder though about the faces that I feel neither joy nor anger towards.  Do I need to be forgiven for the faces I feel indifferent towards.  While I may not be hostile towards them, is there a callous indifference towards others that keeps me from enjoying life fully?  Is ignoring my fellow human beings who are suffering or feel oppressed almost as bad as disliking them intensely?

That's a hard question.  I may need to be forgiven for those places where I could have done something but couldn't muster enough energy to care.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment