Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reflections for 5/3/11

"We do our twenty minutes of meditation a day in the hope that, properly stilled, our minds will stop just reflecting back to us the confusion and multiplicity of our world."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.113)

I wonder what it would be like to actually have 20 minutes to intentionally sit still and be quiet.  While I do have times in my day that get quiet, they are not intentional.  I am usually waiting for something to happen.

I think that having a set time for meditation or prayer is actually essential to make it work.  I'm not sure that there is a specifically ideal time for it.  Mornings are nice because we can clear our mind in order to face the day ahead.  Midday has the advantage of decompressing what the morning brought.  Night time helps to let the day go in order to fully shut the mind off, in order to get to sleep.

I do know that the times when I can keep the discipline of prayer or meditation, I feel stronger mentally and physically.  Priorities become clearer and anxieties lessen.  It is those kind of things that make prayer and meditation not just a Christian activity, but an aspect of just about any religious traditions.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment