Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reflections for 5/4/11

"Then during a lull, one of the men turns to the other and recites a speech of Caliban's out of the Tempest."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 114)

Have you ever had a quote or a lyric pop into your head for no apparent reason?  Or perhaps when you're in the middle of a discussion and something similar occurs.

When my whit is at its best, I can do it rapid fire.  I'm sometimes surprised by what song, or quote enters the part of my brain that controls the speech and sends it forth.  Hopefully in ways that are insightful, or at least elicit a laugh.

Of course there are also times when I get that look of where did that come from.

The more we read, and the more we engage culture at different levels, the more we have to say. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for a good laugh. And then again sometimes because we need to show just how smart we think we are. Those are the times to avoid.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment