Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Reflection for July 15, 2015

"And he said to them, 'Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.'"(Matthew 13:52)

One of the poles of people that I've noticed are those who love every new thing and every new way and those who only appreciate old things and ways.

There is certainly something said to keeping current.  Knowing how to use technology to further oneself or one's passions.  I certainly like the new gadgets that I can afford, but I'm not likely to be one of the first to get something.  I know in my own vocation there are new ways to do ministry and some I've incorporated and others I won't go near.

As a history major and a bit of a traditionalist in some ways.  I have a deep appreciation for old traditions and historical artifacts and antiques.  I know that they can hearken me back to a place in my past or a place that I didn't know.  It also keeps me connected to the communion of saints.

The best gift is when we can discern what is valuable in the new and the old.  And also what is just a passing fad that can only bring us a second of happiness and what is a ball and chain that keeps us from progressing and makes us stuck.

When we can get that right, perhaps we are closer to being trained to live and move in the Kingdom of God.  When we put all our loyalty and devotion into an either or choice, we may be creating an idol.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment