Monday, July 20, 2015

Reflection for July 20, 2015

"However, so that we do not give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook; take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a coin; take that and give it to them for you and me."(Matthew 17:27)

Yesterday I went to a Phillies' game.  And like most baseball games it started with the National Anthem and I stood removed my hat etc.  During the 7th inning stretch they for some reason played God Bless America.  This has been going on since the 9/11 attacks and frankly I don't care for it.  During the 7th inning stretch I want to sing Take me out to the ballgame.  But I stood anyway, because I'm not interested in making a spectacle of myself.  I won't sing along however.

I think there are many things we do in life so as not to give offense to others.  I think there are times when we have to take stands that might be offensive to some.  But I'd like to use those moments for something really important.

I sense that was what Jesus meant with this.  The temple tax not something he was interested in getting into an argument about.  If people were going to be mad at him, it was going to be for something that was important to him.

How do you know when the something is worth standing up for and risking offending some people? When is it better just to play along?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment