Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Reflections for 12/6/11

"And because words are so much a part of what we keep the past alive by."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 319)

I have a pretty good memory.  Probably most people that I know I can recall something about, some shared experience.  I like to tell stories and certainly as a person of faith, words are an integral part of my life.

I wonder though if not talking about someone or something makes it go away?  Part of that feels like denial, in the case of something or some event.  Part of it is also just a fading do to time.  While I can claim to remember something about many people, that does not necessarily mean I can recall every person I've ever met, without someone naming them.

When we speak of or about people, places and things they remain alive if only in our memories.  When we stop talking about them, they may fade away, but I'm not convinced they completely go.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment