Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reflections for 12/7/11

"My mother excoriated the ravages of old age but never accepted them as the inevitable consequence of getting old."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p.319)

While I haven't been around as long as Buechner's mother (apparently she pushed 100) I do know that there have been changes in me physically and emotionally that have much to do with age.

I'll be 46 next week, not old by any stretch, but older none the less.  I know that what my body looked like 25 years ago it no longer does.  Part of that is age and part of that is neglect.  I'm trying to see how much of it I can reasonably bring back, yet know that I will never be that lean mean rock and roll machine again.

I still like loud music, but I find my patience with the crowds it attracts diminishing.

I'm sure that in the remaining years of my life I will probably continue to lose some abilities and some things that I currently enjoy.  The question I have to wrestle with each day is how do I adapt to these changes, gracefully, or in some bizarre holding on.

I hope to live a long life.  But more importantly to me, I hope to live a full one.

Blessings,
Ed

1 comment:

  1. You will also find hid lights legal used on boats and as hunting spotlights. These lights are preferable for hunting applications for two main reasons; they are rugged.

    ReplyDelete