Sunday, July 15, 2012

Reflections for 7/15/12

I've never been a good dancer.  I can waltz, sort of, mainly because I can't count to three.  But dancing at a party or a wedding, I become a wall flower and an observer.  It's kind of funny considering how much I love music, all kinds of music.  I like a good riff and a strong beat. I find it energizing and something deep down inside always seems to want to break through my fears of being laughed at when that's not the response I'm looking for.

One of the scripture passages that was read in my church spoke of David dancing and basically carrying on because the ark of God had been brought back into Jerusalem.  The ancient Israelites symbol of God's presence back with the people.

I thought about how much when life is good I want to dance for joy, much like David did.  But my inability and my fear of being embarrassed always stop me.  I do know how to enjoy good things and I often feel very blessed, but still not much dancing.

Maybe the reality is that we are always dancing.  Life is one big dance.  There are steps to be taken, there is a rhythm to our lives.  Sometimes the dance is slow and almost intimate, sometimes we can just hang loose and sway, and other times we swirl around like a spinning top randomly knocking into people.

So what gets your feet moving?  Where is the music in your life that makes you dance for joy, or at least gets your feet tapping and your head bobbing?  I hope there's something that resembles a dance that is a response to good things happening and not just a please notice me moment.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment