Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Reflection for June 3, 2014

"Although I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink; instead, I hope to come to you and talk with you face to face."(II John 12)


When I was in college in the mid 80's I would walk to the student mail room and anxiously look into my mail box hoping to see a letter.  Usually this was from my "girlfriend" and occasionally from my grand parents.  While I could talk on the phone, the letters were always better. In reality they made me long to talk face to face with those folks.

Letter writing has gone out of style in this era of electronic communication.  I can now text, email, Facebook message and in thanks to Skype and other video communication I can even talk "face to face" in a way.

And yet even with all that more instant communication, nothing replaces being in the actual physical presence of those we long to see.  You can only get a true read of someone by seeing them.  I'm actually convinced that Skype doesn't show the whole picture either.

I am grateful for the ways that I can communicate with others who it is hard to see given distance and schedule.  But I also know that the times that I've gotten to reunite with old friends and be with them in the same physical space is much more satisfying.

There are things that can't be expressed in any other way other than face to face.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment