Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Reflections for June 25, 2014

"That when you hear the sound of the horn, pipe, lyre, trigon, harp, drum, and entire musical ensemble, you are to fall down and worship the golden statue that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up. "(Daniel 3:5)

I'm a big fan of music  All kinds of music.  When I'm exercising at the gym I need music to energize me.  When I'm driving in my car, I like the radio or MP3 player to be blasting away.  Music makes me get on my feet.  Whether that's rocking out at a concert or worshipping in church, up to sing.  Same thing at my other passion baseball, they don't call it the seventh inning stretch for nothing..

Music can stir emotions within me, happy as well as sad.  There are songs I associate with different people in my life and different times in my life.  I can be brought to tears with certain hymns.  Music is just that important to me.

I will say that music has never made me bow down in forced worship.  And that of course was the problem for Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego, they wouldn't bow down to a statue, no matter how catchy the tune.

There are many things in life that should point us to God, and music can be one, when it takes us away from God and makes us focus our love and attention elsewhere, then there's a truly out of key tune.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment