Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Reflection for June 11, 2014

"I say, 'You are gods, children of the Most High, all of you.'"(Psalm 82:6)

I know that I am a beloved child of God.  I proclaim through my baptism, I am a child by adoption.  That all of us are God's children though some of us know that divine parentage and others don't or have rejected it.

I rarely hear anyone in a humble way or perhaps even a serious way claim to be a god.  The problem of course is that with such power, however that power might be manifest, comes great responsibility. 
We are not God, but we are gods.  There are people who put their trust in us, who look to us for guidance, help and presence.  Yet because we are also human we often fall short of living the divine life.  Another stumbling block in making this claim of being a god, is that we can fall into the trap of feeling like we should be worshipped and others should sacrifice to us.  This is again misunderstanding what the Psalmist is trying to say.

So how are you at living into that title of god?  Are you loved and respected because you have revealed the divine to others?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment