Sunday, March 11, 2012

Reflections for 3/11/12

There is an old time hymn entitled I need thee every hour.  It came to a friends mind this morning as he marked our lamented, (I'm not sure which) the return of Daylight Savings Time.  I will admit that I could have used that extra hour, I'm still tired and not sure I ever fully woke up this morning.  This is not good when you need to be leading worship.

I know like everyone else I'll adjust and it will be fine when the sun is up for a long time.  And when the outdoor activities commence.  But for today I'm just tired.

Time is a funny thing, it is one of those parts of life to which we are given only so much and continually wish we had more.  I was thinking about reflecting on this eleven days ago, when February gave us an extra day.  On that day I wondered if anyone ever thought about taking advantage of it and playing catch up.  Probably not.  I know for me it was just another day.  Hopefully something got accomplished outside of the usual, but I don't recall anything outstanding.

And then there is today.  The day where the government takes an hour from us, and gives it back 8 months later.  I've read the history and I suppose there are good reasons for it.  I do know this, I am sure it was intentionally put on a Saturday so as not to make people late for work, church maybe but work never.

What would you do with that extra hour if you could claim it anytime in the next eight months?  If you new that every four years you would get an extra day that you didn't have to worry about what day it fell on.  It was yours as a free gift?

My guess is most of us think we know what we would do with more time, we always hope for it.  Yet I think we also fear having more time, because we actually might not know what to do.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment