Monday, March 12, 2012

Reflections for 3/12/12

Today was one of those days were you just don't know what's coming.  Felt flat at first.  A good Caramel Machiatta with a friend help kick some things loose.  I waited for someone to later go home and see the email that they weren't coming.  Probably just as well, might have ruined my good mood from the Machiatto.

Then this afternoon I went out to do what I often do in the afternoons visit a shut in.  Upon arriving at the house the neighbor was leaving and as we said hello the neighbor decided they needed to share that they had no time for religion. God had taken her husband and two sons.  And then out the door she went.

At first I wanted to say "on behalf of the whole church in paradise and on earth, I apologize."  I don't know why I thought that.  It isn't my place or my job to apologize on behalf of God.  I know that person felt pain and betrayal and because I'm wearing a collar I'm the easiest person to take that out on.  Honestly its not the worse thing that's ever been said to me because of what I represent, but it still takes me aback.

I doubt any of us fully realize what we may represent to others, both positively and negatively.  It sucks to be lumped into a generalized negative, especially when the other party doesn't seem interested in learning what you might believe or hearing what you might have to say.

There is also the truth that we can't shy away from whom we are.  It's one thing to say I might be "X" but I'm not like those other "Xs", but ultimately you better be ready to say what being who you are really means.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment