Thursday, October 23, 2014

Reflection for October 23, 2014

"But Mary treasured all these words, and pondered them in her heart."(Luke 2:19)

I don't have a keepsake box or a file filled with letters, but sometimes I wished did. I certainly have things scattered all over the place that when I rediscover them, I'm amazed.  There are people of course who do keep old letters or mementos from their past, because to go back and look a them can be helpful in understanding where we've been and perhaps where we might be going.

When we treasure something it has value to us.  We may store it away to bring out later when we need it.  Treasuring is a way of remembering.

I think it very helpful that Mary chooses to ponder words and not immediately react to them. That's hard for me as an extrovert to do.  Take some time to allow the full meaning of what is said to sink in. Give the space for my reaction to be thought through and perhaps even come to the conclusion that no rebuttal is necessary.

But we live in an immediate world.  Between twitter and instant messaging we can fire away the first thing that comes to our mind in reaction to something that was said or written.  Perhaps treasuring and pondering might actually be the best thing to do, before we hit send.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment