Friday, November 21, 2014

Reflection for November 21, 2014

"Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."(John 3:17)

If you were a sports fan in the 1970's and 1980's you may recall seeing at many a televised sporting event a guy with a rainbow wig and a cardboard sign that said John 3:16.  Back then I had no idea what he was referring to.  Of course I now and for 20+ years understand that he was using his prime location seats to share the good news of Jesus Christ, that God so loved the world......

And while I certainly embrace that Good News I love the verse that follows as much.  That Jesus didn't come here to condemn us.  So it sort of begs the question for me.  If Jesus didn't come to condemn why do some of his followers feel they must?  Are they mad that Jesus didn't share the same zealousness for fault finding and finger pointing?  Are they saying he blew it we better take over?  Of course I need to be careful or I may fall into the trap of condemning them.

That the world through Christ might be saved is important.  For me it is in the believing and then the following the example that I as a part of the world get saved.  Saved from myself primarily.  Reminded regularly that there are other people who are just as beloved as I am.  Who need the same compassion and mercy that I've been given.  They don't need Austin 3:16, "I just whooped your ass" but a hand up, a shoulder to lean on and an ear to listen.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment