Monday, November 24, 2014

Reflection for November 24, 2014

"The sick man answered, 'Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; and while I am making my way, someone else steps down ahead of me.'"(John 5:7)

Have you ever been waiting for something? An opportunity to do something or take care of a problem and yet when the moment is right, you either don't have the help you need to accomplish it, or someone else gets there just ahead of you.

It often feels like we are striving on our own and often fall just short, or someone else gets the very thing we sought.

It may be that we actually don't see the help that is right in front of us.  It may also be that we are striving for something we don't actually need.

I look at the invalid in this passage and can see those parallels in my own life.   Too narrow a focus on how to achieve my goal.  No one to help me, and others too quick or better at the game than I.  Frustrating no doubt.

From a faith perspective perhaps I'm called to see where God is acting with me in all of this.  Have I asked for the right thing?  Or do I need to broaden my definition of what the right thing is?

I know what I'd like to see happen, and I've waited a long time for all the stars to align.  And that waiting and only seeing one answer might be why I've been unable to achieve my goal.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment