Saturday, November 15, 2014

Reflections for November 15, 2014

"Father if you are willing remove this cup from me; yet not my will but yours be done."(Luke 22:42)

There was a scene from the Simpson's where Bart found himself praying for a snowstorm so that school would be cancelled so that he could avoid taking a test.  His sister Lisa saw him and said "prayer, the last act of a desperate man.". It snowed by the way, and Lisa reminded Bart who was ready to go out and enjoy the snow that he had prayed for this and should use this answered prayer wisely.

How many of us have been in that kind of situation where we have prayed to have something happen, anything, that might get us out of a really bad situation.  We are not sure ourselves how to do it, so we ask God to act on our behalf.  I know I've been there.

But I also know that if I am to model my life and that includes my prayer life after Jesus, then I too have to be willing to say, your will be done.  I don't believe that God's will is for me to suffer or anyone else for that matter.  What I have found to be true is that while I may not be rescued out of every if any situation, I am often blessed with a way to endure it and come out from it in tact.  Changed perhaps, maybe even a little wounded, but not utterly defeated.

That's not to say that we shouldn't pray for specific things, but we need to remember that what we pray for may not always be what we need.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment