Thursday, September 1, 2011

Reflections for 9/1/11

"This is the day which the Lord has made,' says the 118th Psalm.  "Let us rejoice and be glad in it.' Or weep and be sad in it  for that matter. The point is to see it for what it is because it will be gone before you know it. If you waste it, it is your life that you're wasting. If you look the other way, it may be the moment you've been waiting for  always that you're missing. all other days have either disappeared into darkness and oblivion or not yet emerged from them. Today is the only day there is."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p. 234)

I had a pretty good day today.  There were things to do, people to visit.  No real highs or lows. No unexpected twists.  I probably won't look back on it as anything remarkable one way or the other.  I just know that I could be marked as present.

I also know that many of my friends who are still feeling the effects of Irene cannot say the same thing.  I can't imagine not looking back and feeling loss. I can't imagine not thinking about the days weeks and months ahead cleaning up.  Being present in today is probably quite the challenge.

But perhaps it is those days that are neither filled with great joy or sorrow, that we need to pay attention to.  What do we make of those days?  Do we just stumble through them. Either pining for some mythical past, or longing or worrying about what the future holds?

To live for today, each day, is one of the greatest challenges of being human.  But I wouldn't want to miss a moment.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment