Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Reflections for 3/5/13

"Each of you must give as you have made up your mind not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."(2 Corinthians 9:7)

What was the last thing you cheerfully gave to?  Was your gift money, some object or perhaps your time or talent?  In church speak we call this stewardship and we are called to practice it in all aspects of our life.

I know that I cheerfully give of my time to my vocation, to my family and to my friends.  There has never been any reluctance to do so because I do it out of love for those folks.  I'm certainly not under any compulsion, at least most of the time.  I will admit that that here are times that a gentle prodding can often get me moving because sometimes I get stuck in a rut.  But once I've invested fully in what's happening I'm there.

I also give cheerfully of my treasure, eg. money, to my church, and to my college and seminary.  Again I don't have to give to any of those institutions but they play and have played important roles in who I am today.  Frankly I'm not as cheerful when I have to pay bills, but then again that's under compulsion.

Where are the places and people that gladden your heart and that you gladly give to?  What are the people and places you feel reluctant to do so, yet you have no real choice about it?  Can the first type of giving redeem the second?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment