Thursday, February 21, 2013

Reflections for 2/21/13

"I do not want to see you now just in passing, for I hope to spend some time with you if the Lord permits."(1 Corinthians 16:7)

One of the parts of my vocation that I enjoy is pastoral calling.  Visiting sick and shut ins.  I try to make enough time on my calendar to not have to clock watch, to be able to spend as much time visiting with folks as needed.  Sometimes these visits are short, and sometimes they can last two hours. The amount of time is not as important as the quality of the visit.

I also know that I enjoy visiting friends as well. My past couple of summer baseball trips I've managed to spend time with various friends.  It has always been a good to spend time with them, to catch up with what's been going on in their lives.

It is certainly obvious when someone is giving you quality time.  You have their attention, and they seem to enjoy your company also.  It is also clear when someone is just giving you a perfunctory visit.  They have to be there, they don't really want to be there, and they are watching the clock, looking for a way to graciously move on.

When we value the person we are visiting we want to make the most of our time together.  Yes there are moments that we wish could be longer, and in our overly scheduled, rushing from one event to another, lives, that can sometimes be a challenge.  But for those moments when we are truly present for each other even the shortest visit can seem like they never end, in a positive way.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment