Monday, February 18, 2013

Reflections for February 18, 2013

"If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it."(1 Corinthians 12:26)

In my life I've had the privilege of being part of several organizations.  I've been on sports teams, scout troops, churches, fraternal organizations and of course colleges.

Some have great memories attached to them  for me. I remember the people, I remember events that were pivotal to my growth as a person.  There have been times when I've shared in the joys of others and been there when things didn't go so well.  I've also felt comfortable in those places to share my ups and downs with.

I guess for me that is the sign of real "community"  how we handle people's joys and sorrows, successes and failures.  Can we be present without envy for people who are having a very blessed streak in their lives?  Can we be comfortable around folks for who are going through a valley period?

It is that sense of being mutually present for each other and also knowing that all organizations are as strong as the members that make it up.  I've felt that way in many of the groups I've been part of.  Hopefully I've been the kind of member that makes the body strong.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment