Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Reflections for 2/6/2013

"It is in vain that you rise up early and o late to res, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives sleep to his beloved." (Psalm 127:2)

At the beginning of the year I went for a sleep test.  They hook you up with all kinds of wires and contraptions monitoring your brainwaves and breathing to see how you sleep.  I haven't gotten the results back, (note to self, maybe you should call the Dr.)  I know that I don't sleep well or deeply.  I hear the cats, I use to hear the babies who are now teenagers. 

I've always been a morning person, so waking up is not a problem and it's usually the same time.  I often wake up before the alarm.  What frustrates me is when I don't have to get up and yet still wake up early.  I do find it funny that as unregimented as I am, this is one of the few patterns and rhythms that I have.

I also know that I go to bed later than I should and often times cannot shut off my mind.  I do have few tricks that I try.  A breathing exercise I learned from Richard Rohr.  A lecture to self about how what I'm fretting about cannot be solved right then and there.  Sometimes though I am gifted with pillow plus head equals out.

Time of course is one of the greatest gifts we are given by God.  It is finite and how we use it can be an indicator of our personal stewardship.  If I wake up early what am I doing during that time?  If I'm staying up late, what am I doing with that time?  I believe that God gives my body that 6+ hours to recharge the battery so to speak.  If I try to get more out of that limited supply of energy a crash is bound to occur.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment