Monday, February 11, 2013

Reflection for 2/11/13

"All things are lawful for me but not all things are beneficial. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be dominated by anything."(1 Corinthians 6:12)

Anyone who has known me for a while knows that my longest struggle in life has been with food.  My grandfather told me it was my addiction, (he had his own by the way.)  Food would certainly be a great example of this quote being lived out.  There is no food that is illegal.  Not being of a faith tradition with dietary laws, I can eat whatever I want whenever and however much I want.  The problem is that to so with no concern for my physical well being has presented a huge mountain to now have to overcome.  I'm pleased to say that I'm getting better.  I'm trying to eat in ways that benefit me, primarily seen in losing weight.  I'm no longer dominated by food, but have control over my own appetite.

There are probably other examples out there of things that I might have the right to do, but may not be beneficial for me.  Just because something is permissible doesn't mean I need to do it.

Yes there is a freedom that I have thanks to my faith.  The challenge is not to abuse that freedom.  There is a freedom I have as a citizen of this country too.  The challenge is also the same.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment