Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Reflection for 2/13/13

"Therefore, if food is a cause of their falling, I will never eat meat, so that I may not cause one of them to fall."(1 Corinthians 8:13)

Today is Ash Wednesday the official beginning of the season of Lent.  I know people who will be giving things up for Lent and others who will follow my advice and take something on.  Either way I suppose works. 

The question for me in giving something up would be why am I doing it.  Is it something that is a real impediment to strengthening my relationship with God?  If it is just a temporary decision that I will let go of on Easter Day, then I fail to see the point.

Maybe the point to giving something up would be also to model good habits to others.  Same could be said for taking something on.  Let others see what you, as a person of faith are doing.  Perhaps they will want to follow your example.

Of course Lent is not the only time we can modify our behavior.  We are given daily chances to start a new.  What might be worth praying about is the motivation behind the choice.  Paul said he would never eat meat if he thought it would impede his desire to help others in their relationship with Christ.

It still is true, all of us have someone that looks at us as examples of how to be.  What might we have to let go of to be that good example?

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment