Thursday, June 18, 2015

Reflection for June 18, 2015

"Rejoice then, you heavens and those who dwell in them!  But woe to the earth and the sea, for the devil has come down to you, with great wrath, because he knows that his time is short."(Revelation 12:12)

A very frightening image is given to us in this verse from Revelation.  The idea of an anthropomorphesized evil, wreaking havoc on us.  Having lost the battle in heaven turning its anger on those of us here.

I do not believe in the devil, but I do believe fully that there is evil in the world.  I only have to turn on the news to have this sadly affirmed.  As we know last night 9 members of a church were killed by a lone gunman for no other reason probably than that they were black.  Racism still alive and rearing its ugly head.  I keep hoping that the last part of the verse might actually hold true that "his time is short."  That in my lifetime I might be able to go a day without hearing of some incredibly evil action being done.

The level of wrath and anger that still swirls around us is for me what keeps the clock running on "the devil"  We keep buying him more time.  Either by fueling it with our own seething or even by not confronting it when it happens.

Here's hoping one day we can say "rejoice then you earth and sea and all who dwell in them.

Blessings,
Ed



No comments:

Post a Comment