Saturday, June 20, 2015

Reflections for June 20, 2015

"It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins; these follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They have been redeemed from humankind as first fruits for God and the Lamb,"(Revelation 14:4)

So who gets in and who doesn't?  Seems like this ridiculous argument happens from time to time with Christians, either attacking each other or going after the non-believers.  The 144,000 mentioned in Revelation is a number that is brought forth in determining who gets to be in God's presence. 

Personally I find the argument silly.  First off I'm pretty sure I'm not one of the 144,000.  First that's a small number given the amount of time that has past since the vision.  Second I wouldn't know from which tribe of Israel I hail. And third as this verse shows I'm out by default of having "defiled myself with women, for they are virgins."

I have, though I wouldn't use the word defiled, and I'm not.  So am I doomed. Hardly.  Luckily there is in God's presence a vast multitude that cannot be numbered, I'm pretty sure that's where you'll find me.

To focus on the 144000 is to put limits on God.  It also shows in my opinion a belief that God plays favorites.  So should you ever have the misfortune of being accosted by someone who wants to know if you are part of that 144000, ask them are they sure that they are and then remind them of this caveat.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment