Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Reflections for 10/12/11

"Rejoice is the last word and can be spoken only after the first word."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life" p. 273)

What is there in life that brings you joy?  I know what things I enjoy, sports, food, my family are a few. But is enjoying something the same thing as bringing joy into your life?  At first  I thought no, there must be a difference, but the more I thought about it, I said of course they are at least related if not one and the same.

Rejoicing, giving thanks and appreciating what I have in my life, the people and things in my life that bring me pleasure that make life worth living.  I do rejoice for  those gifts.  Perhaps for me the ability to give thanks, to rejoice in and for the things I enjoy comes from that first word, which interestingly isn't given.  I'm guessing that for me the first word is belief.  Because of my belief, I find that I have the words to give thanks, the ability to appreciate all that I have, without lamenting what I don't.

I find it funny to encounter folks for whom the belief part works but not the joy part.  When I encounter sour puss believers I want to ask, "what gives you joy?"  What examples in your life can you share.  If living your belief, never brings anything but a pained expression on your face, and only sees what is wrong with the world and others, I would hate for that to be the last word.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment