Thursday, October 27, 2011

Reflections for 10/27/11

"In popular usage, a myth has come to mean a story that is not true. Historically speaking that may well be so. Humanly speaking, a myth is a story that is always true."(F. Buechner "Listening to Your Life." p. 286)

When I was in elementary school I loved to read Greek and Roman Mythology.  I had no intention of switching my allegiance to the Christian faith in favor of that religion, and still wouldn't. But I do like stories that give real insight into what it means to be human. That show how as people we have always tried to make sense out of our world.

I am dismayed that myth has come to mean not true, (though I do like the show Mythbusters).  Without some degree of myth, storytelling life becomes very cold, very cerebral for me.  I have told people flat out that I consider the creation stories to be myths. What I do not mean is that the story is not true.  I don't believe that the world was created in 7 days as I would understand 7 days.  I do believe fully in the underlying truth that there is a God, who creates and sees things as good to very good. 

When we place myth in the negative or insist on an unprovable literalism, we take the power away from the story and go on the defensive against science. Silly fight in my estimation.

I'll continue to read the Bible for the very reasons that I have always read it. I love the story. I understand the world and my place in it a little more deeply as a result.  And from my limited human perspective those stories will always be true,  because something doesn't have to be provable to be true for me.

Blessings,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment